Windows compatibility telemetry is the service that facilitates technical information regarding the windows devices like the frequency of applications usage, system files, and metrics. It regularly sends the operating data to Microsoft to improve the user experience by solving the issues that may occur.
The windows telemetry uses different types of data, so it takes up a lot of disk space. So if you are looking for a solution to remove it, try with the following methods:
Using group policy editor
The problem may be occurring because your windows do not have a group policy editor installed. In case you didn’t add the group policy editor to your windows, consider adding it.
- Open your PC and press the ‘windows logo key’ + R to initiate a run command.
- Then, type ‘gpedit.mcs’ in the search box and click on ‘ok.’
- A long list menu will appear. From there, locate Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Data Connection and Preview builds.
- After that, double-click on ‘allow telemetry.’
- Choose ‘disabled’ and click on apply. Then click ‘ok.’
- The last step is press ctrl+ shift+ Esc key on your keyboard to open the task manager. Now check if Microsoft compatibility telemetry seeks normal disk usage.
Using registry editor
The second most suitable method to disable windows 10 Microsoft compatibility telemetry High Disk Usage is to change some keys in the registry editor. This method requires some technical expertise. So if you don’t know about the change of keys then do not try this anyway as it can turn on the computer in non- functional state.
- To start the process, press Windows+ R for run command.
- Type ‘regedit’ in the dialogue box and click ‘ok.’
- Locate the given key- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Policies>Microsoft>Windows>Data Collection.
- In the next section, you are supposed to make a new DWORD of 32 bit and put its name as allowing telemetry and then give it a 0 value.
- With the above step, Microsoft telemetry will be completely disabled. In case there is no key then you have to make one.
- Now disable the ‘connected user experience’ and ‘telemetry service.’
- To do step no 3, run services.msc from the rolled window. And then navigate the above-provided option.
- The next step is to click the ‘connected user experience and telemetry service double’.
- Choose to disable from the startup type option.
Through diagnostics tracking services
As stated above that window compatibility telemetry aims at improvising the user experience with Microsoft. If you want to disable this feature then follow the given instructions:
- The first step is to run the services, a desktop app.
- Next step is from the service list, locate diagnostics tracking service. Then, open the properties windows of it.
- After this, in the property window tab, click on the general tab and choose ‘disable’ from the startup type option.
- Through task scheduler
- To get rid of the issue, you can disable the Microsoft compatibility telemetry with task scheduler. Here are the steps for the same:
- Click on ‘start.’ Type ‘task scheduler’ and press enter.
- When the task scheduler window opens, find task scheduler library>Microsoft>Windows>application experience.
- After that on ‘application experience folder’ navigate the ‘Microsoft compatibility appraiser.’
- The next step is right click on ‘Microsoft compatibility appraiser,’ select disable and then click on ‘confirm’ to finish the process.
- Now check if the issue has been solved.
Using the command prompt
The command prompt functions like you have to give some commands on in the CMD windows and proceed with entering after every command.
- To start the process, press window+ R to run a command. Now type ‘cmd’ and press enter.
- When the command prompt window appears, right click on it and choose ‘run.’
- After that enter, the commands give below and remember to press enter after each command.
sc delete DiagTrack
Sc delete dmwappushservice
red add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection”/v AllowTelemetry/t REG_DWORD/d 0 /f
Update your device drivers
If the issue persists even after trying the above methods, then it is the right time to update your device drivers.
- The first step is to download and launch ‘driver easy’ on your device.
- After that run the application ‘driver easy’ and click the ‘scan now’ option.
- Now driver easy will scan your device and recognize the drivers that are creating issues.
- Then click the ‘update’ button for downloading the appropriate driver version and afterward you can install it manually.
- Restart your PC now.
- Press Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc to enable task manager and see if the Microsoft compatibility telemetry uses disk space usually.
So these are some beneficial solutions to fix the problem. Here you learnt how to fix windows 10 compatibility telemetry high disk usage easily. If you’re facing any problem, commet below.